Most of the cover photos for famous magazines and different publications are taken with very simple photographic tools. If you carefully look at the photos, you can probably tell what the light source is from the shadows that fall on the model and roughly understand what really went into making that specific production. While anyone can take a photo using the same tools, it, does not necessarily mean that you will end up with the same cover page.
First you must determine a concept for your shoot. You can do whatever you want. If you struggle to dream up an interesting concept, try answering the following questions.
- What are some of your favorite movies, genres, books, etc. Can you style a shoot around that concept?
- Is there a location or model that inspires you? What story can you design around those inspirational things?
- Is there a story or emotion from your life you want to communicate to the world?
Decide on how the shots will be taken. Make a careful plan for everything to be carried out smoothly. Any changes in the plans should not be made too close to the starting time of the photo shooting:
- Find a shooting location.
- Create an inspiration board.
- Arrange stylist.
- Model makeup.
Now that everything is set up, the photo shooting session can be executed as planned. During the process, many things can still happen. You should notice the following things:
- Take as many photos as possible.
- Use diverse shooting angles.
- Mind the weather.
- Mind your devices’ battery.
- Bring spare parts along.